Pennsylvania Democrat

The results of applying rational thinking to political problems



Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.


War on Drugs: Wasted Resources




Monday, May 10, 2004

My experience with freedom and why a limited government is necessary

Discipline is necessary to ensure true freedom -- freedom from abuse.

OK, so you're free. What the hell does that mean? Free to do what? Certainly not whatever you want, since that could violate someone else's freedom. We need some sort of control to protect those who are trampled upon by a disagreeing majority.

Why the harping on discipline?

I know I'm exposing myself to flames, so I feel that this must be explained:

I have been involved with the Boy Scouts of America since I was 5 years old, I am an Eagle Scout, and I continue to help my troop as an adult leader. I have seen with my own eyes that a breakdown of discipliine results in violence and abuse, while a strengthening of discipline results in order and respectfulness.

But you just said to get the government out!

Yes and no. The government should be protecting us from real harm. Free speech is necessary to communicate thoughts. Ideas can only cause imagined harm and only to those who believe them.