Pennsylvania Democrat

The results of applying rational thinking to political problems



Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.


War on Drugs: Wasted Resources




Monday, July 19, 2004

Where have all the values gone?

Seven Inches of Sense had a post titled Jefferson, Washington, Where are you ? I made what I think is a blog-worthy comment:
"Look at education and pop culture today. I think one of the sacrifices of freedom is the choice of something less desirable. Back in the late 16th and early 17th century, there were no computers, T.V., or anything else that eliminates reading and manual labor. Your only choices for entertainment were plays, reading, and writing, things that are widely absent in today's society, but they are things that can educate as much as they entertain. The only choice for food was farming. With this setting, physical fitness, character, and leadership were built-in features of American life. However, with the advent of modern technology, people can make machines do things for them and waste time, accomplishing nothing.

Don't get me wrong -- I am generally liberal politically. It's just that I see what the bad choices do. In the end, choosing conservative values seems to make an individual a better leader in society."

I don't hate conservatism. I hate the self-righteous politicians who try to make it law.